CORN EXCHANGE, WALLINGFORD
The Sinodun Players came into being in 1948 in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell, formed by Frances Curtis who was a former Gaiety Girl, and after whom the coffee lounge is named. Frances Curtis was President of the Society from 1976-1983. Dame Agatha Christie also accepted office as President from 1951-1976. Dame Agatha, a Wallingford resident, was a regular member of the audience for our pantomimes and other shows when the SP performed in the Masonic Hall.
Throughout the years the Society has had various 'homes' but acquired the then-derelict Corn Exchange in 1975. Members set about complete refurbishment, culminating in an official opening by Sir Peter Hall, then Director of the National Theatre, in 1978. Since then the building has been extended so that the complete site now runs from the Market Place to Wood Street. It is open for eleven months every year; August usually being reserved for any renovation or redecoration work.
If you would like to read a comprehensive account of the Sinodun Players and their long and illustrious history, please have a look at this document, kindly put together for us by Trevor Twentyman, a Life Member of the Society.
Since the Sinodun Players was founded in 1948 they have performed more than 300 shows.
Click here to see the complete list of these shows in chronological order.
ROLL OF HONOUR
Click here to see the full list.
Sinodun Players Amateur Dramatic Society © 2019